Rough & Ready. Nevada County, CA
Where once there were three, this is the last one standing.
First established in 1849 by a mining company in Wisconsin, known as the Rough & Ready Company. The leader named the company after our 12th President – General Zachary Taylor, nicknamed “Old Rough & Ready”. The town declared its succession from the Union as “the Great Republic from Rough & Ready”, on April 7th 1850 because President Taylor levied a tax on California Mines. The cry was “taxation without representation”. However, they voted to rejoin the union less than three months later on July 4th.
Rough & Ready, CA is located just to the West of Grass Valley, CA and approximately 62 miles from Sacramento. The small town can be found on the Rough & Ready Highway, it was bypassed by State Hwy 20 in the mid 1980’s.
- The Post Office was established in 1851 and has the zip code 95975
- Among the oldest buildings are the blacksmith shop, the Odd Fellows Hall and the Old Toll House
- The 2010 census reported that Rough & Ready had a popular of 963
- A small Chapel is in Rough & Ready where weddings are occasionally held.
- Rough & Ready is home to the musical group, “The Fruit Jar Pickers”.
- Rough & Ready has a relatively new fire house
- Rough & Ready encompasses just over 3 square miles